Alumni Hall Of Fame PDF Print E-mail


The RHS Alumni  Hall of Fame recognizes and honors the accomplishments of Roosevelt graduates and alumni who bring pride and inspiration to the school, the community and society. They have made significant contributions in their careers, personal achievements, leadership and service to others. The Alumni Association is accepting nominations for induction into the Hall of Fame.

A completed nomination form must be submitted to the nominating committee for consideration.  (Simply submitting a name is not a valid nomination.)  To nominate an alum for this prestigious award, please submit a completed form to Bill Dees, Chairman, Hall of Fame, e-mail to This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it .

Forms may also be requested by phone: Call Bill Dees at 314-772-6102

(Download The Nomination Form and Criteria & Guidelines)

Hall of Fame Members

Joe Adorjan +++ Richard F. Ault +++ Harry Babbitt +++ Dr. George Bohigan +++ Rudolph (Rudy) Bukich +++ General James T. Conway Dr.Clyde L. Cowan, Jr. +++ General James T. Conway +++ Vice-Admiral John W. Cox +++ Fern (Grossenheider) deGreeff   ++++William Dees  Lee Engert+++ Fred Gehrung +++ Kendall Gladen +++ Richard Hantak+++ Elaine (Sterling) Hollingsworth   Gus Kolilus +++ Jerry Link +++Genevieve (Koch) Mason++Donald N. Mings +++Charlie Moore +++ Harry Morley+++ David Mungenast Conn McCreary +++ Charlie Raich  Celeste Ruwwe+++General Robert Sennewald, Ret. +++Donald Siekmann+++ Shirley Washington+++Michael Willis




Dr. Clyde L. Cowan, Jr. -  (June 1936)

Nobel Prize in Physics
Clyde L. Cowan, Jr., was awarded the Nobel Prize in physics in 1995.  He along with Dr. Frederick Reines succeeded in a feat considered to border on the impossible.  Together they discovered the neutrino. A neutrino can pass right through the entire earth without being deflected or absorbed.  There are three varieties of neutrinos that make nature’s twelve basic particles of matter.  The search for these sub atomic particles has been one of the great scientific quests of the 20th century.  That quest seeks to answer such fundamental philosophical and physical questions as to how the universe was formed.  Last fall, research in Europe seem to show that neutrinos could travel faster than light, which would be a major challenge to Einstein's theory of relativity.  When his family moved to St. Louis, he began his education at Roosevelt high school.  During his years at RHS, he was on the Bawna Staff, a member of the glee club and A Cappella Choir.  After graduating at the age of 16 he attended the Missouri school of mines and metallurgy now known as the Missouri University of Science and Technology in Rolla, Missouri.  He graduated in 1940 with a bachelor of science in chemical engineering.

When the U.S. entered World War II, Clyde joined the Army as a 2nd a second Lieutenant and was sent to Gen. Eisenhower's Eighth Air Force Station in London.  Clyde met his future wife, Betty Eleanor Dunham and they were married in Woodford, England.  He earned a bronze star for the meritorious operations with the Royal Air Force. He left active duty in 1946.  He returned to St. Louis, enrolled at Washington University, where he earned a Master's degree and his PH D. in physics in 1949.  He then joined the staff of the Los Alamos Scientific Laboratory in New Mexico, where he met Frederick Reine's.

The Nobel committee said “detecting the neutrino was a long awaited discovery.  For nearly 25 years, physicists had been looking for someone to accomplish this feat “.  Nearly 40 years after his discovery, his work was honored with the 1995 Nobel prize in physics.  The Nobel prize is not given posthumously, but his partner, Dr. Fred Rines, did receive the award in both of their names.

Clyde began his teaching career in 1957 as a professor of physics at George Washington University in Washington, DC.  The following year he joined the faculty of the Catholic University of America a post he held until the end of his life.  Clyde and Betty had ten children, seven of whom died in infancy.  He also had two adopted children. Clyde's wife died at the age of 90.  Clyde died at the age of 54 in 1974. 

For additional information you may Google his name. Also see Roosevelt Today, March 2012.

General Robert Sennewald, Retired - (January 1947)

Robert Sennewald was a member of the Student Council, Routh Rider staff, played football and baseball and also played rugby in a Forest Park league.  In 1947, he entered Iowa State University in Ames, Iowa.  He was a distinguished graduate in 1951 and was commissioned a second lieutenant in field artillery.

Robert served in combat in Korea and commanded artillery batteries in Europe and the United States.  In Vietnam, he led the 6th Battalion, 15th Artillery Infantry Division from March 1968 to April 1969.  He served in Washington,DC on the Department of the Army and the Joint Staff.  Sennewald attended the National War College in 1971 and obtained his Master's degree in International Relations from George Washington University.  In May 1974, Colonel Sennewald commanded the division artillery, 4th Infantry Division, at Fort Carson, Colorado.  He was promoted to Major General in July 1978 and commanded the Army Training Center at Fort Dix, New Jersey.  In 1980, he began four and one half years in the Pacific.  He was assigned as the Assistant Command, joint operations, chief of operations for the ROK (Republic of Korea)/U.S. Forces in Korea.  He was promoted to Lieutenant General in July of 1981 and assigned to Camp Smith, Hawaii, the joint headquarters of all U.S. forces in the Pacific Theater where he served as the Deputy Commander in Chief.  Promoted to the rank of general, he returned to Korea and assumed the duties of Commander In Chief of the United Nations Command and combined forces of ROK/U.S. forces in June 1982.  Two years later, on June 18, 1984, he assumed Commanding General, U.S. Army Forces Command, including all active operational forces in the U.S. and all Army reserve units. Sennewald retired June 30, 1986.

Robert has since served as a consultant on national security issues to the Department of Defense, private industry and senior review panel for the Director of Central Intelligence.  He was chairman of the board for the Armed Forces YMCA and chairman of the board for the Army/Air Force Mutual Aid Association.  He was also on the board of directors for the Campagnia Center, a non-profit group dealing with disadvantaged youth.  Sennewald helped with the Korean War commemoration display, exhibiting sacrafices by veterans in those battles.

Robert's wife, Nancy (Vance) Sennewald, died in 2003.  She is buried in Arlington National Cemetery.  He is the father of one son and two daughters.  He remarried Susan Horn and they live in an 1840 house in historic Alexandria, Virginia.

For additional information, you may Google his name.

Fern (Grossenheider) deGreeff - (1925)

Fern graduated at the age of sixteen in 1925, the first graduating class of Roosevelt High School. Fern loved school and was an "ALL-E" student. She was a member of the College Club and inducted into the Torch National Honor Society.

Her husband, Rus, was drafted into the army and was based at Fort Warren near Cheyenne. Fern joined him and became the first personnel counselor of the one-thousand base civilians.

Fern and her husband were members of the St. Louis Horse and Carriage Club and traveled as far as London to participate in competitions.

They were the lead contributors for the deGreeff Hospice House, the only free-standing Hospice House in Missouri.  After Rus died, Fern donated funds to double the size of the hospice.

Fern's contribution to the RHS scholarship fund was the largest received and, because of that, the Fern deGreeff Scholarship was established and is awarded annually to the highest ranking student selected by the scholarship committee.

Several years ago, Fern made a substantial donation to a research center being built in conjunction with the St. Louis University Hospital.  A large park next to the center is named in honor of Fern and Rus.  After her death, her will stated that all remaining funds be donated to St. Louis University.

Fern was involved in many charitable organizations and received numerous honors for giving her time and monies.

Dr. George Bohigan - (June 1957)

Dr. George Bohigan attended Mullanphy Elementary School and loved outdoor activities.  He attended RHS and his favorite subjects were Latin, math and chemistry.  After graduating from RHS, he attended Washington University and earned his undergraduated degree in 1961, including a teaching certificate in secondary school sciences.  Through a YMCA program, George had the opportunity to tour Russia as an exchange student in 1961.  He received an M.D. from St. Louis University School of Medicine in 1965.  He was a resident in opthalmology at Barnes Hospital/Washington University.

From 1970 until 1972, George was a Lieutenant Commander in the U.S. Navy, serving as assistant chief of opthamology.  He is a professor of clinical opthalmology at Washington University School of Medicine and maintains a private practice in Des Peres and Arnold, Missouri.

George has been involved in many medical missions out of the country, including Uganda, Central America, Armenia and the Philippines.  He has been working with the Armenian Eye Care Project since 1995 and the Orbis International Flying Eye Hospital since 1999.  In conjunction with his volunteer work with the Flying Eye Hospital, he flies to hospitals in third world countries and teaches doctors and nurses how to treat patients with eye problems.  George performed a surgical procedure on a brother and sister, five and six years old, who were both blind, in the Orbis airplane in the Philippines.  The surgery was successful and both children could again see.  He has performed other surgeries on young children with successful results.

George has been selected numerous times as one of the best doctors in America and has been named as one of the top "Doctors in St. Louis" in the St. Louis Magazine from 1996 to the present.  He was president of the St. Louis Medical Society in 1979.  He has written several books and his writings have been included in over fifty-three publications.

George is married and has two children and three grandchildren.

Joe Adorjan- (January 1957)

Joe Adorjan started working at the early age of fourteen at a bakery from 4 P.M. to 6 P.M. on weekdays and 2 A.M. to 10 A.M. on Saturdays.  He earned his lunch tokens at RHS by cutting ice cream in the school cafeteria every morning.  He feels his early experience set his work ethic for the future.

At age seventeen, he joined the Naval Reserve and after graduation, he went on active duty.  After getting out of the Navy, he went to work for Century Electric as a lab technician.  His goal was to save enough money to go to college.  He graduated from St. Louis University in 1967 and went on to earn a Master's Degree in economics and finance.

From 1968 to 1990, Joe held a variety of management and executive positions with Emerson Electric, including Senior Vice President of Corporate Development.  He was promoted to Executive Vice President in 1983, then became Vice Chairman and went on to become President.

He was the presidential appointee to the President's Export Commission and Chairman of the U.S. Subcommittee on Encryptions.  In 1999, he was elected chairman of the St. Louis University Board of Trustees and also served on the board of Ranken Technical College.

In 2005, he was appointed Honorary Counsel General of Hungary and in 2007, he formed a scholarship program, the Hungarian-Missouri Educational Partnership.

Although he traveled extensively, he says his most interesting trips were to Antartica and searching for mountain gorillas in Uganda, where half of the six-hundred surviving gorillas are found.

General James T. Conway, Retired  - (June 1965)

James Conway is a four-star general and served as the 34th Commandant of the Marine Corps. Previous high level assignments included President of the Service's University, commander of the 1st Marine Division and commander of 90,000 US/UK forces during the 2003 invasion of Iraq.  Prior to becoming the Commandant, he was the senior operations officer for the U.S. military.

As Commandant, he served as the senior uniformed Marine responsible for organizing, training and equipping over 250,000 additional personnel, major military construction efforts at bases and the integration of multiple next-generation weapons systems into the inventory. He initiated new programs for the care of woulded warriors and brought Marine Corps family programs onto a war-time footing.  He managed a USMC annual budget on the order of $40 billion.

As a member of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, he functioned as military advisor to the Secretry of Defense, National Security Council and the President.  He retired from active duty after 40 years of commissioned service in late 2010.  His post-government service ventures include membership on Textron's Board of Directors, Colt Firearm's Board of Advisors and as adjunct faculty member of Georgetown University.

He attended Southeast Missouri University, the Seminar XXI M.I.T. Fellowship Program and the JFK School of Government and Harvard University Seminar of International Relations.  He has been married to Annette Conway for 42 years. They have three children: two sons serving as majors in the Marine Corps and a daughter married to a Marine major.  He is in excellent health and his hobbies include fishing, hunting, golfing, kayaking and grandchildren.

RICHARD F. AULT - (January 1944)

Richard "Dick" Ault  was an Olympic athlete and coach.  He was a member of the United States Olympic Track and Field Team.  He competed in the 1948 Summer Olympic games in London, England, finishing 4th in the 400 meter hurdles.  The following year, he tied the world record of 52.2 seconds in the 440 yard hurdles in Oslo, Norway. A track standout at the University of Missouri, he won six outdoor conference titles in the 220 yard hurdles in 1946 and 1947 and seven conference titles in 1948 and 1949.

Following his track career, he served as the head track, cross country coach and later as the the athletic director at Westminster College for 29 years before retiring in 1997.  He was an inductee into the Cross Country Coaches Hall of Fame in 1976, the University of Missouri Hall of Fame in 1991, the Missouri State Sports Hall of Fame in 1993 and the National Sports Hall of Fame in Washington, D.C. in 1999.

He graduated from Mizzou at Columbia and began a teaching and coaching career at Roosevelt.  He was there four years and coached championship teams.  He earned a  Master's Degree at Washington University.  At Roosevelt, he was a member of the track and football teams, president of his senior class and served on Student Council.  He died at the age of 81 in July of 2007.

He and his wife, Barbara, had four children and four grandchildren.  Dick served in the Army Air Force and became a navigator after graduating from high school in 1944.


GUS KOLILUS - (January 1960)

After Gus Kolilus retired as a St. Louis detective, he was hired to investigate child abuse. While investigating a child's death in rural Missouri, he found that the father had killed his child by throwing him against a wall.  As a result of that case and cases of multiple family homicides, a Child Fatality Review Board system was established and became a prototype of a system now repeated in forty-nine states.  Because of this system, child deaths trends have been identified and prevention programs in abuse, such as shaken baby syndrome, sleep safety and drowning babies, have been established.

The State Department of Health credits Gus with this reform, which is now national.  Gus was recently honored in Washington, D.C. as one of Missouri's greatest champions for children.  He received the National Keeping Kids Alive Leadership Award.  This award was presented to him for his leadership in building and administering one of, if not the best, child fatality review and child investigation programs in the country.

Gus and his wife, Sally, now live in Columbia, Missouri where he has an office from which he continues his career in semi-retirement to help insure the safety and justice of our state's children.

At RHS, Gus was on Student Council for three terms, Freshman Forum for two terms, Distributive Education Club President and received two Service R's

RICHARD HANTAK - (June 1956)

Richard Hantak was a football official in the National Football League for twenty-five years between 1978 and 2003.  He began his NFL officiating career as a back judge and became a referee eight years later.  During his career, he officiated in two Super Bowls, Super Bowl XVII in 1983 as a back judge and later as a referee in Super Bowl XXVII in 1993, both at the Rose Bowl in Pasadena, California and selected as an alternate for Super Bowl XXXII in 1998.

Hantak was most notable for being involved in a game that would result in the elimination of the excessive crowd noise rule from the NFL because of the actions during an exhibition game preceding the 1989 NFL season between the Cincinnati Bengals and New Orleans Saints at the Louisiana Superdome. Prior to the snap to begin a play, Bengal's quarterback Boomer Esiason constantly complained to Hantak about a loud crowd noise inside of the dome and would embellish his reactions in protest over the newly created rule.

Hantak was also involved in a humorous incident during a 1996 game between Pittsburgh and Carolina.  On a punt, the ball landed in the end zone and the Carolina mascot, Sir Purr, downed it unaware the ball was live.  While Steeler's coach, Bill Cowher was laughing, Hantak told Sir Purr not to do it again.

Dick ended his officiating career with a playoff game on January 11, 2003 between the Oakland Raiders and New York Jets. In the 2006 NFL season, Hantak served as a replay official, working on site in the video officiating booth.

Hantak is a 1960 graduate of Southeast Missouri State University and was a member of Sigma Tau Gamma.  He was inducted into the Missouri Sports Hall of Fame in January 2012.

DONALD N. MINGS - (June 1953)

Don Mings attended Roosevelt High School from 1948 - 1953.  During that time, he earned several letters in football, basketball, baseball and track, as well as being the president oif the Letterman's Club.  After graduation, he attended the University of Missouri for one year and then joined the Army to serve his country.  Upon discharge, he enrolled in Southeast Missouri State College, played football and earned a B.S. degree.  He earned his M.S. from Indiana University.  Following graduation, he taught history at RHS for one year and at Salem and Kokomo, Indiana.  He left teaching to work for the Social Security Administration.

Don rose to the position of Regional Commissioner for Kansas City, then San Francisco and lastly, Seattle.  He was invited into the Senior Executive Service, selected from all federal employees, for the last fourteen years of his thirty-six year career with the government.  Don provided management and direction to over 54,000 Social Security Administration employees and 10,000 state employees.  Don was a mediator and was Management's Deputy Chief Negotiator for the first Social Security national labor contract with the American Federation of Government Employees.

In 1988, Don was one of five executives selected to spend a month in China to assist the Chinese Government in setting up their own Social Security system.  This was just one of many honors and awards he received for outstanding service and leadership.

Don was elected chair of the Federal Executive Board in San Francisco and again in Seattle. As the chairman, he also headed up the combined federal campaign (United Way) for many years.  He also was on the board of directors for the Bellevue, Washington Rotary Club, served on the board for the Summit Owners' Association and was the chairman of architectural control for several years.


David Mungenast enlisted in the U.S. Army Special Forces, as a Green Beret, shortly after graduating from Roosevelt.  Leaving the Army he attended St. Louis University and received his B.S. degree in 1961.

David was a motorcycle enthusiast, racer and stunt man. He built a business with a network of auto, motorcycle and pleasure boat franchises. He was a motorcycle stunt man appearing in many movies, including Cannonball Run, staring Burt Reynolds and Farrah Fawcett. David received countless awards for his many achieivements in the auto dealers' associations.

He served on the President's Council of St. Louis University, was an Honorary Dean of the Dubourg Society and a guest lecturer at the School of Entrepreneurial Studies. He served on Congressman Richard Gephardt's Economic Development Committee and was Chairman of the Friends Drive for the Boys' Club of St. Louis. He was on the board of St. Anthony's Hospital for fifteen years. David was inducted in the Motorcycle Hall of Fame in 2000.

David was married to Barbara (McAboy) in June of 1956. They had three sons.

WILLIAM DEES - (June 1951)

William (Bill) Dees is a three-time winner of the Metropolitan Opera regional auditions and is a graduate of the Internationales Opera Studio in Zurrich, Switzerland. He was the leading baritone of the Biel-Solothurn Opera, Performing such classic roles as Rigoletto, Germont in Traviata, Sharpless in Madama Butterfly and Almaviva in Le Nozze di Figaro.  He sings not only the dramatic roles of Verdi and Puccini operas, but also the character buffo parts required in the comic operas of Rossini and Donizetti.

He was the artistic director, writer and leading baritone for the Bel Canto Ensemble of young audiences, including over 500 p[erformances in schools throughout Missouri and Illinois.  He performed over twenty leading baritone opera roles.  He taught the stars of Disney World.

He returned to school after age 40 and earned a Bachelor of Music and Master of Music Director Degrees. He taught voice and opera at SIU, Carbondale. Bill has appeared with the Orlando Opera, St. Louis Opera Theater, St. Louis August Opera Festival, Muddy River Company and CBS Television Repertory Theater. In addition to all these impressive accomplishments, he leads the singing of the Alma Mater at our alumni luncheons.

Elaine (Sterling) Hollingsworth - (June 1946)

Elaine (Sterling) Hollingsworth  became a model when she was just fourteen and a freshman at RHS. At age seventeen, she was a Powers model. She was spotted by MGM who offered her a Hollywood movie contract. By this time, she was known as Sara Shane.  She starred in many diverse roles with some of her leading men being Clark Gable, Sean Connery, Rock Hudson and Fred Astaire.  She also starred in a Tarzan movie.  She performed in many television shows and was in several stage plays.

At a party with famous movie star, Gloria Swanson, a conversation about healthy eating changed Elaine's life forever.  She began a lifelong campaign to expose the dangers and failings of the health industry and the manipulation and dishonesty of food and drug manufacturers.  She moved to Australia in 1980 and became the director of the Hippocrates Health Center in Queensland Gold Coast.  She lectured on health and continued her research into natural ways of maintaining health.

It's her opinion that millions of people are suffering needlessly as a result of the food industry and drug manufacturer's zeal to earn hundreds of billions of dollars, aided by scientists who have been paid handsomely to falsify test results.  She wrote a book, "Take Control of Your Health and Escape the Sickness Industry." She devoted fifty years of her life to encourage people to adopt a healthy lifestyle.

At age eighty, she lives happily and healthy on her five acres of land in Australia and continues to work long hours at the Health Center.  While a student at RHS, Elaine was elected Track Queen and was a member of the Bwana Staff and College Club.

Michael E. Willis - (June 1969)

Michael E. Willis received his Bachelor of Arts degree from Washington University in 1973. He received a Master of Architecture and a Master of Social Work from Washington University in 1976. He founded his own company, MWA Architects in San Francisco in 1988.  He has served as Principal on numerous large public projects including the Oakland International Airport Terminal 1 Rehabilitation and Central Utility Plant.  He was Associate Architect on the San Francisco International Airport Terminal II and is part of the Joint Venture team for the new international terminal. He was Principal-in-Charge of architectural design of the $110 million MUNI Metro Light Rail Vehicle Maintenance & Operations Facility, Milbrae BART station and renovations of several BART transit stations, the high-rise work force housing the 125 Mason Street apartments and the expansion of San Francisco's convention center. 

He  was the first black president of the American Institute of Architects and was elevated to Fellowship in 1996. Michael has served on several committees and as chair of juror for national AIA Regional and Urban Design awards. He is registered in Missouri as well as several other states and holds NCARB (National Council of Architectural Registration Boards) certification. He received the 2010 Design of Excellence Citation National Organization of Minority Architects. He also received the 2010 Gold Award from Building of America.

Kendall Gladen - (June 1994)

Kendall Gladen attended Waring Elementary School before attending RHS.  Her outstanding voice was first discovered by the choir teacher at Roosevelt. Kendall's first opportunity to sing publicly occurred with the Vocal Jazz Group, an occasion that literally changed her life. As a student at Washington University, she performed in Handel's Messiah and Mozart's requiem.

She has performed throughout the United States including a performance as the lead role in Carmen at the San Francisco Opera. Her rendition of two songs from Carmen, including the gospel Jericho, apparently brought the house down. She has also appeared in Germany, Italy, Canada and Switzerland. Her performances include roles in Rigoletto, Porgy & Bess, The Magic Flute and The Rake's Progress. She performed with the San Francisco Symphony and in Carnegie Hall.

Kendall has won a number of awards. She has been a two-year recipient of the Adler Fellowship with the San Francisco Opera and during her four-year tenure with the St. Louis Opera, she has received a number of awards. Kendall was very well received when she preformed at one of our alumni luncheons.

Fred Gehrung - (June 1950)

Fred Gehrung attended Rose Fanning Grade School and RHS, graduating in June 1950. He received a degree in journalism from Missouri University and married his college sweetheart, Laura Walchshauser. After graduating from Mizzou, he entered military service and was assigned to an intelligence unit in Zielgesbach, Germany. Upon his return to the U.S. his first job was with Mallinckrodt Chemical Works.  Two years later he joined Monsanto as PR director in New York.

In 1972, Fred launched his own business which was the first of its kind in the nation: Gehrung Associates University Relations Counselors.  It was a public relations firm specializing in and geared entirely to college and university image enhancement.  Having a university's professors and achievements in behalf of science, business, the arts, government, medicine and the like brought to the public's attention via the national news media meant reputation enhancement, which in turn would attract students and money.  The Wall Street Journal credited Fred with "fathering" what it termed "the new industry of university relations."

The first university client of Gehrung Associates was St. Louis University and later Washington University in St. Louis.  S.L. U.'s Father Reinert, together with the Danforth Foundation, wanted to launch a national campaign to improve government funding of higher education.  Gehrung Associates was retained to marshal the editorial pages of the nations's newspapers.  Senator Ted Kennedy personally delivered a white paper, co-authored by Father Reinert and Fred, on Capital Hill and the bill was passed.  They also comunicated with Mike Wallace, Tom Brokaw, talk shows including "Today" and "Good Morning America" and reporters from all the national newspapers.  Some of their efforts generated "Sixty Minutes" segments.  Gehrung Associates' client list included over thirty top-ranked universities, a "who's who" of American institutions.  Their expertise and services broadened to include student recruiting, fund raising, curriculum design and establishment of campuses in other countries.

Fred retired in 1997 and is having fun and success as a humorist.  His pieces have appeared in San Francisco Magazine, USA Today, the Chicago Tribune, Boston Globe and the New York Times.

Fred credits much of his good fortune to the dedicated teachers at Roosevelt, who cared about us kids. "Thanks for being there when I needed you most!"

Rudolph (Rudy) Bukich - (January 1948)

Rudy Bukich was born on September 15, 1930 in St. Louis, MO.  At RHS, he was on the football and basketball teams, a member of Student Council and vice-president of his senior class.  He earned a football scholarship to Iowa State University.  He then transferred to the University of Southern California.  In his senior year, Southern California went to the 1953 Rose Bowl.  After the starting quarterback (an All-American) was sidelined with injuries.  Rudy came in and conducted a drive, completing all but two of his passes that resulted in the only score for USC to defeat Wisconsin 7-0.  Rudy was selected as a Most Valuable Player in the game.

After his career there, he was inducted into the USC Trojan Hall of Fame and later into the Rose Bowl Hall of Fame.  Rudy was selected in the second round of the 1953 NFL Draft by the Los Angeles Rams.  He went on to play for the Washington Redskins, Chicago Bears and the Pittsburgh Steelers.  Rudy's greatest performances were during his second stint with the Bears.  He was a quarterback with the Bears when they won the 1963 NFL Championship Game.  (Bill Wade was the quarterback in the championship game).  Rudy had also replaced Bill Wade during week four against the Baltimore Colts after Wade completed just five of twenty-one passes.  Rudy took over the position for the remainder of the game, completing six of seven passes with a touchdown pass to Ronnie Bull, which was the deciding margin of victory for Chicago. In 1964, Rudy tied a record with thirteen consecutive completions and in 1965, he was the second leading passer in the NFL.


Harry Babbitt - (June 1931)

"Handsome Harry Babbitt" was a Big Band singer who once voiced the laugh of Woody Woodpecker.  He sang with the Kay Kyser Band at the Waldorf-Astoria in New Yoirk City, the Aragon Ballroom in Chicago and the Hollywood Canteen.  Harry had such hits as "Three Little Fishies," "I'd Like to Get You on a Slow Boat to China," "Jingle, Jangle, Jingle," "The White Cliffs of Dover," ""Til Reveille" and "The Umbrella Man." He also sang the Spike Jones holiday hit, "All I Want for Christmas is my Two Front Teeth," (complete with a childish lisp) and "Frosty the Snowman."

He was a regular on Kay Kyser's radio program, Kay Kyser's Kollege of Musical Knowledge and spent a decade performing on the weekly CBS radio program, "The Second Cup of Coffee Club."  He also briefly hosted the musical TV show, "Glamour Girl."  Harry appeared in seven movies that starred Kay Kyser, including "That's Right - You're Wrong," "Thousands Cheer" and "Carolina Blues."  He retired from show business in 1964 and spent twenty years working in real estate.

In 1985, Kay Kyser died and Harry obtained rights to the band's name and its song library from his widow.  Harry then toured the country until the mid-1990's.  At RHS, Harry belonged to the Glee Club, was treasurer of the band, Novelty Orchestra, Literary Society, Sixes Button Committee, Rough Rider Staff, Band and Aquatic Club.  On April 9, 2004, Harry died in Aliso Vejo, California at the age of 90.

Vice-Admiral John William Cox - (June 1945)

John William Cox was born in St. Louis, Missouri, on August 31, 1928. After graduating from Rose Fanning Grade School, he attended Roosevelt and was secretary of the Boys' Glee Club and President of the A Cappella Choir. He received his Doctor of Medicine in 1952 and Doctor of Philosophy degree in Physiology in 1953 from St. Louis University He was commissioned as a Lieutenant in the Medical Corps, U.S. Navy in 1956 and did his training in internal medicine at the Naval Hospital in San Diego, CA.

He then served as Director of Clinical Services and Chief of Medicine at the U. S. Naval Hospital, Subic Bay, Philippines. William joined the staff of the Naval Hospital in Philadelphia as head of the Cardio-Vascular, Pulmonary and Communicable Disease Branch. In 1970, he joined the staff of the Bureau of Medicine and Surgery in Washington, D.C. In 1973, he assumed the position as Commanding Officer of the Naval Health Sciences Education and Training Command in Bethesda, Maryland. In 1978, he was Commanding Officer, Naval Regional Medical Center, San Dirgo, CA.

He was appointed as the 28th Surgeon General of the United States Navy in 1980. During his term, he revitalized the fleet hospital ship concepts. He retired from the Navy in 1983 and accepted the position of Associate Dean, Graduate School of Public Health, San Diego State University. In 1987 to 1993, he the Director of the Department of Health for the County OF San Diego. William was a member of the American College of Cardiology, American Cancer Society, National Medical Veterans Society and Boy Scouts of America. He was the recipient of many awards, including the William Harvey Award from the College of Cardiology and several military decorations. William died in 2002 at the age of seventy-four.


Charles Moore - (January 1951)

As a young boy, Charlie was in Boy Scouts and Methodist Youth Fellowship in which he held leadership  and conference wide offices.  At RHS, he was co-captain of the track team, member of the Student Council, audio-visual projection group and A Cappella choir.  After graduating from RHS (Jan. '51), he earned his BA at Central Methodist University in Fayette, Missouri.  He was later ordained a minister in the Methodist church.

In 1955, he and his wife, Willa, moved to Boston so Charlie could attend Boston University where he earned a masters degree in Theology and later a Ph.D in social ethics.  During the late sixties and seventies, Charlie taught at colleges in Iowa and Michigan and then back to Central Methodist as Professor of Sociology.  After being warded a Fullbright Fellowship, the family moved to Nigeria in West Africa where Charlie was a professor and assistant dean at the University of Soloto to help plan the expansion of this new university.  They moved to Japan where he coordinated U.S. programs for the International Student Bureau.  It was here Charlie retired.  Since retirement, Charlie and his wife have led numerous volunteer mission work teams in Ecuador, Costa Rica, Honduras, Mexico and Venezuela.

Charlie has had a commercial pilot license and his own plane for forty years.  This allows him to fly "angel Flights" for very ill patients to locations where they can obtain specialized treatment.  About fifteen years ago, Charlie and his wife planted over 27,000 hardwood trees, not Christmas trees or to sell, but because it is good for the environment.


Jerry Link - (June 1949)

After graduating from RHS Jerry attended Harris Teachers College and received his teaching degree. He also took courses at Washington University and worked part-time for Anheuser-Busch as a research chemist.  During the Korean War, he served in the Counter Intelligence Corp in Europe.  He traveled to ten or eleven countries and this made him realize he wanted a job in international business.

After getting out of the army, he worked for two chemical companies, Monsanto and Celanese, traveling all over the world.  From 1960 to early 2000, he spent two-thirds of every year on the global road as president of international trading and marketing at Celanese Corporation.  He played a major role in opening up the Chinese market for trade and investment.  After leaving Celanese, he established a consulting firm in Washington and participated in the creation of NAFTA (North American Free Trade Agreement) as a facilitator for the manufacturing industries of Mexico and the USA.  He was a co-author with other academics, including professor Klein (Wharton Business School), of a book on international trade.

Jerry was involved in the reconstruction of the Shakespeare Globe Theater in London.  As a result of his work, he was invested as an Officer of the Order of the British Empire by Queen Elizabeth. Jerry's most rewarding business experience was helping out children's hospital in Lodz, Poland in the 1980's, the time of unrest and the Solidarity movement.  There was very little foreign exchange available, so doctors could not obtain supplies to treat newborn babies.  With the help of Jerry's representative in London, they obtained a truckload of medicines and other essential items and delivered these to the hospital.

Charlie Raich - (June 1951)

Charlie Raich was intensely competitive at a very early age. He grew up playing all sports, including boxing, however, his first love was baseball. While at Roosevelt, Charlie was on the baseball and football teams for three years.  He was also on Student Council, the Rough Rider Staff and vice-president of the Letterman's Club.  While serving in the Korean War, he served as a baseball and football player coach for his base team in France.

He began his teaching/coaching career in 1958 as an assistant coach at Hardin-Calhoun High School in Hardin, Illinois.  His team finished 6-3, the first winning record in school history.  Charlie moved on to Roxana High School where, under his coaching, the Roxana Shells had nineteen consecutive winning seasons.  In 1977, Charlie was picked as Coach of the Year, with his 8-1 record,  In 1987, Charlie was named as the class 4A football coach of the year and was inducted into the Illinois Football Coaches Hall of Fame.  He was one of only thirteen coaches in Illinois history to win over two hundred games.  When he retired after thirty-eight years, the Roxana High School football field was named after him.

After he retired, Charlie did volunteer coaching at Metro-East Lutheran in Edwardsville.  In May 2000, he was inducted into the St. Louis Metropolitan Football Coaches Association Hall of Fame.  Charlie served in other ways than on the football field, including working with his church.  He was always at his post every Saturday afternoon at Mass, greeting People, passing out bulletins and helping people in and out.  One of his players described him as, "a wonderful man and a great coach, not just on the field, but in life as well".

Shirley Washington - (June 1980)

Shirley attended Louverture Elementary School (now a middle school). The family moved from the neighborhood and she then attended Sherman Elementary School in the Shaw neighborhood. While at Roosevelt her favorite teachers were Ms. Washington (no relation), Miss Ganey and Mr. Kaey, all teachers who took a special interest in their students and their development. She was on the Roughettes squad, dancing pompom-cheer group and was president of the student council (in earlier years referred to as the Mayor). After graduating from RHS she attended Jackson State in Mississippi and then to SIU in Carbondale where she obtained a degree in broadcast Journalism.

Shirley has worked for WAGA-TV in Atlanta, Georgia, and KDFQ-TV in Nashville, Tennessee. In Decatur she was known as the "one-man band". This is where the reporter goes out on the story, does the photography, gets the story, returns to the station, writes it, edits it, and the presents it on the TV camera. Shirley remembers this as being very demanding, but also excellent training. Before joining KTVI in St. Louis, she was the manager of the public relations department of Lambert International Airport.

Throughout her career, Shirley has covered Presidents Bill Clinton, Jimmy Carter and Barack Obama. In addition to being an Emmy Award winning broadcast journalist, she is also a published author. She wrote "The Motherhood Club: Help, Hope and Inspiration from New Mothers for New Mothers" and "Women in Business". She has also written her first novel, "The Diary".


Genevieve (Koch) Mason - (June 1954)

Genevieve knew from the time she was a little girl that she wanted to be a nurse. The teachers at Roosevelt gave her helpful advice as to what courses she should take to enter nursing school. At age seventeen she entered Washington University School of Nursing.

Gennie started working at Barnes Hospital where she stayed for thirty-three years. She left Barnes and went to St. Louis University Hospital to open their new Eye Hospital. She stayed there as a Nurse Manager until November of 2003 and then worked part-time at St. Joseph Hospital in outpatient surgery.

In January of 2006 she received a call from one of her nursing friends asking "How would you like to go to Uganda. Genevieve immediately replied that she would love to go. After arriving in Uganda, she was given a tour of the hospital plane which was equipped with state of the art medical equipment as well as an examining room and an operating room. She joined other nurses, anesthesiologists, and ophthalmologists from the United States and Great Britain to diagnose eye problems and, in many instances, to assist at corneal transplant surgeries, removal of cataracts, and treatment of other eye diseases. The medical group also trained ophthalmologists and nurses in Uganda to manage eye problems and teach public awareness of eye care prevention.

After leaving Uganda, she went to China where she performed the same duties. In addition to her volunteer work in third world countries, Gennie, and her husband, served as foster parents to abandoned kittens. Since Hurricane Katrinathey saw the need for volunteers to take care of abandoned animals.

Lee Engert - (June 1947)

Lee Engert may have been one of the best second basemen never to play professional baseball.

He had a long amateur baseball career which included his time at Valparaiso University, where he set records in batting average (.441) and in stolen bases. A tour in the Marine Corps followed where he was the only player on the base team not to have signed a professional contract. Then there were twelve years with the Kutis baseball team where he played second base on two All-City Championship teams.

Lee was a teacher and coach at Ritenour High School. In his seventeen years as head baseball coach at Ritenour his teams won twelve League Championships and two State Championships. He retired from Ritenour after thirty-five years and went to Chaminade College Prep High School.

A Lee Engert team at Chaminade won the State Championship in 1992 and compiled a record of 28 wins and 0 losses. Another State championship for Chaminade followed in 1998.
And still another State Championship in 2001, won by a Lee Engert coached team at John Burroughs High School.

Lee’s lifetime coaching career record is 413 wins and 137 losses for a winning percentage of .750.

The baseball team at Ritenour High School plays on Lee Engert Field.

He was selected as the NCAA High School Coach of the Year in 1973.

Lee is a member of the Valparaiso University Hall of Fame, as well as the Halls of Fame of Chaminade High School, Ritenour High School, The National High School Baseball Association, The Amateur Baseball Association and The Missouri High School Coaches Association.

Lee coached his teams by showing them the basics of baseball and of life. They learned about sacrifice and the price to be paid for victory through his code of personal values and goals to be achieved.

One of his players wrote that the things he accomplished can’t be quantified because they went far beyond coaching. He was a mentor-a leader who coached boys, but created men.

Harry Morley - (January 1948)

Harry Morley has been from St. Louis to Washington, D.C, and back again, serving on the boards of more than a dozen civic and charitable organizations along the way.

He has made a mark on Laclede's Landing, the Arch grounds, along Washington Avenue and on such local Organizations as Coaches for Youth Sports, College School of Webster Groves, and the Distributive Education of America.

He got involved with government work in 1963 as director of administration for St. Louis County which lasted until the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development hired him in 1970, He rose to assistant secretary at HUD, but returned to St. Louis to take the job of first president of the Regional Commerce and Growth Association in 1973.

At RCGA, Harry oversaw of the molding of the new umbrella organization out of three former development agencies. During his tenure, from 1973 to 1978, he helped start to Spirit of St. Louis Labor Council, helped form the city's first sports commission and started Leadership St. Louis, a training program aimed at preparing young executives for civic and public involvement.

Harry got involved with efforts to get Laclede's Landing back on it's feet in 1976. He was an original director of Laclede's Landing Redevelop Corporation until 1992, when he became chairman.

The Entrepreneur of the Year for 2000 has served on the advisory committee of the College School of Webster Groves, the board of directors for St. John's and St. Luke's Hospitals, the St. Louis College of Pharmacy, the Olympic Festival Committee, and was chairman of the Missouri and Transportation Commission and the Missouri State Industrial Development Corporation.


Celeste Ruwwe - (January 1945)

Celeste Ruwwe is a retired St. Louis Policewoman. She was a distinguished and ground-breaking officer who was the first female to be promoted to the rank of Sergeant.

Celeste was the comander of the first sex crimes unit in St. Louis. She initiated new methods of questioning rape victims and the procedures to be followed in their treatment in local hospitals.

She was featured in True Detective Magazine in connection with her investigation of the murder of a three-year boy.

In 1960 she was one of nine policewomen to serve on a nationwide task force examining the role of women in policing.

She has both Bachelor’s and Master’s Degrees in Police Administration and has attended the FBI academy for additional training in dealing with sex crimes.

Celeste is a lifelong animal lover and has been a volunteer at the St. Louis Zoo for over thirty-five years. TheGift Shop at the Endangered Wolf Center is named in her honor and the Zoo has recognized her for more than twelve-thousand hours of volunteer service.

Celeste was elected to our Hall of Fame

Conn McCreary - (1939)

There is no evidence that Conn McCreary graduated from RHS. If he had stayed in school he would have graduated with the class of January, 1939.

His size, athletic ability and ambition required that his education had to be continued at a race track on the back of a thoroughbred horse .Conn started riding professionally in 1937 and won his first race at Chicago’s Arlington Park in 1938. His most outstanding year was in 1944 when he won the first two races of the Triple Crown on a horse named Pensive. In the third race, the Belmont Stakes, he finished second by half a length to Bounding Home. He won his second Kentucky Derby on Count Turf in 1951 and his second Preakness in 1952 on Blue Man.

McCreary rode four Hall of Fame horses, Devil Diver, Armed, Bric A Brac and Stymie. In addition to his Triple Crown races he won the Travers Stakes, the Jockey Gold Cup, the  Breeder’s  Futurity Stakes, the  Arlington Handicap and many, many more for a total of 1263 wins on 8802 mounts and a winning percentage of 14.2%.

At four feet eight inches and one hundred pounds, he was the smallest jockey in racing at that time. Conn retired from riding in 1960, and worked as a trainer and as a race track publicist.

He was inducted into the National Museum of Racing Hall of Fame in 1974. Conn Nichols McCreary died on June 28, 1979 at age 58.


Donald Siekmann  - January 1956

Donald Siekmann was a Regional Managing Partner for Arthur Anderson and Company in Atlanta, Georgia, and Cincinnati, Ohio. He had a nationally syndicated column in the Gannett newspapers and was the “Tax Clinic” editor of “The Tax Advisor Magazine.” Don had a daily tax series on WKRC-TV in Cincinnati and WAGA-TV in Atlanta and was a featured tax expert on CNN.

Siekmann is a champion of worthwhile causes and a tireless worker for non-profit organizations.

He was the chairman of the Cincinnati United Way, chairman of the board for the Cincinnati United Appeal, and a board member for the Juvenile Diabetes Foundation, Ronald McDonald House, Jewish Hospital of Cincinnati, The Alliance Hospital Investment Committee, and College of St. Joseph.

As an arts advocate, Don was President of the Cincinnati Symphony Men’s Committee, treasurer of the Cincinnati Symphony, treasurer of the Cincinnati Ballet, vice chairman of the board for the World Choir Games, and is currently president of the board for The Society for the Preservation of  Cincinnati’s Music Hall.

Don has served as president of the board of WCET public television, and was on the boards of The Cincinnati Nature Center, The Greater Cincinnati Arts and Education Center, The Cincinnati Zoo, The Cincinnati Theatrical Association, Friends of the School for the Performing Arts, The Cincinnati Arts Festival and Cincinnati Opera Special Events.

In Atlanta, he was a board member for the Atlanta Symphony Orchestra, the Atlanta Opera, the Atlanta Zoo, the Atlanta Center for Puppetry Arts and was on the finance committee for The Atlanta High Museum of Art.

Don has certainly left his mark on both Cincinnati and Atlanta. He has made them better cities and the world a better place for all of us.

Don Siekmann was voted into the Roosevelt High School Hall of Fame on 24 July, 2014.